May 16, 2011

"I lived in the garden of Allah"—A writing in favour of fatalism


 Photo is credited to Flickr/jackwickes

I came across a beautiful British writing suggesting the importance of fatalism as believed by Arabs and its importance to help man stand against worries. I am quoting it as follows.

    "So I did as Lawrence suggested: I went to live with the Arabs. I am glad I did so. They taught me how to conquer worry. Like all faithful Moslems, they are fatalists. They believe that every word which Mohammad wrote in the Koran is the divine  revelation of Allah. so when the Koran says: "God created you and all your actions," they accept it literally. That is why they take life so calmly and never hurry or get into unnecessary tempers when things go wrong. They know that what is ordained is ordained; and no one but God can alter anything. However, that doesn't mean that in the face of disaster, they sit down and do nothing. To illustrate, let me tell you of a fierce, burning windstorm of the sirocco which I experienced when I was living in the Sahara. It howled and screamed for three days and nights. It was so strong, so fierce, that it blew sand from the Sahara hundreds of miles across the Mediterranean and sprinkled it over the Rhone Valley in France. The wind was so hot i felt as if the hair was being scorched off my head. My throat was arched. My eyes burned. My teeth were full of grit. I felt as if i were standing in front of a furnace in a glass factory. I was driven as near crazy as a man can be and retain his sanity. But the Arabs didn't complain. they shrugged their shoulders and said, "Mektoub"..."It is written."

    But immediately after the storm was over, they sprang into action: they slaughtered all the lambs because they knew they would die anyway; and by slaughtering them at once, they hoed to save the mother sheep. after the lambs were slaughtered, the flocks were driven southward to water. This was all done calmly, without worry to complaining or mourning over their losses. the tribal chief said: "It is not too bad. We might have lost everything. But raise god, we have forty percent of our sheep left to make a new start."

    I remember another occasion, when we were motoring across the desert and a tire blew out. the chauffeur had forgotten to mend the spare tire. So there we were with only three tires. I fussed and fumed and got excited and asked the Arabs what we were going to do. they reminded me that getting excited wouldn't help, that it only made one hotter. The blown-out tire, they said, was the will of Allah and nothing could be done about it. So we started on, crawling along on the rim of a wheel. Presently the car sputtered and stopped. We were out of gas! the chief merely remarked: "Mektoub!" And, there again, instead of shouting at the driver because he had not taken on enough gas, everyone remained calm and we walked to our destination, singing as we went.

    The seven years I spent with the Arabs convinced me that the neurotics, the insane, the drunks of America and Europe are the product of the hurried and harassed lives we live in our so-called civilization.

    As long as I lived in the Sahara, I had no worries, I found there, in the Garden of Allah, the serene contentment and physical well-being that so many out of us are seeking  with tenseness and despair.

    many people scoff at fatalism. maybe they are right. Who knows? But all of us must be able to see how our fates are often determined for us. For example, if I had not spoken to Lawrence of Arabia at three minutes past noon on a hot August day in 1919, all the years that have elapsed and molded time and again by events far beyond my control. the Arabs call it mektoub, kismet—the will of Allah. call it anything you wish. it does strange things to you. I only know that today—seventeen years after leaving the Sahara—I still maintain that happy resignation to the inevitable which I learned from the Arabs. that philosophy has done more to settle my nerves than a thousand sedatives could have achieved."

- from the writing "I lived in the Garden of Allah"
by R.V.C.Bodley (Descendant of Sir Thomas Bodley founder of the Boldeian Library Oxford, and author of Wind in the Sahara).
 
Text Credit: "How to stop worrying and start living", book
by Dale Carnegie

Photo is credited to Flickr/JD image

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to deal with pain in love

Sufi head-dress and pearl decorations (via  Wikimedia Commons ) I asked the Sufi master to put his spell to turn my heart into a stone, to d...